Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Happy Bad-iversary!

This month marks another one-year milestone for me.  I don't remember exactly when I started working in the department store I currently work in, but I know it was some time in March.  When I started the goal was to make enough money to keep up with my student loans while trying to figure out what to do with my life.  I knew I would be at this job about a year, perhaps longer.  Now it's looking like I'll be there another four months or so.

Still, I never though about what this job would feel like after a year.  Without going into too much detail, since I plan on talking about work for one of my A-to-Z Challenge posts, serving America's shopping public feels a lot like being punched in the face.  But you know what?  After taking so many hits, most of them just can't hurt me anymore.
So go ahead, lady, scream at me for trying to keep your children from playing on the escalators (which is hella dangerous), and go ahead sir, ignore everything I tell you about the work boots just because I have boobs and take my male coworker at his word even though he said the exact same thing.  I don't care.  It's all happened so many times now that I've developed an exoskeleton of apathy impervious to any insults you can think of.  Of course, it's not all a horror show, there have actually been some very genuine and pleasant experiences.  It's just that the bad ones are so much easier to remember.
To commemorate this bittersweet anniversary, I'd like to feature another bittersweet thing.  There's a band out right now called Karmin with an album coming out this April.  They've been gaining popularity, I guess, and I recently heard this song on the radio:


Not bad.  However, whenever I hear "Karmin" I think of the Christian singer Carman, most famous (to me, at least) for this 80's classic sic:


Just a little bit different.  Anyway, sometimes a word becomes associated in your mind with something terrible, like this Karmin/Carman example.  In the same way, "shopping" in my mind will always be associated with misappropriated anger and barely controlled chaos.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't forget the A to Z Challenge begins tomorrow!

Jarm Del Boccio said...

Hope you are able to join the challenge this year...it will be worth the effort!