Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for...

"From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer)" by Against Me!


Believe it or not, this entry is going to be something of a happy one.

Against Me! (yes, the exclamation point is part of their name) is my favorite band, and this album in particular, Searching for a Former Clarity, means a great deal to me.  If I had to pick only one album I could listen to for the rest of my life, it would be this one.  I could have picked an Against Me! song for at least ten letters for this challenge, but I ended up deciding not to use a band more than once, so I settled on this song.

This album came out around the same time my friends and I started to understand politics.  We were particularly drawn in by Condoleezza Rice, since she was a prominent female in the political sphere, not that we agreed with everything she said or did.  She was a point of interest.  Then a song came out that was all about her?  A song that was upbeat and punky and had the f-word in it?  Our teenage selves were hooked.

We didn't know all the words at first, so we invented our own.  "There's a rat in North Korea" is the made-up line I remember most.  It was in that time period when you're over the nervousness of entering high school, but haven't yet gotten around to worrying about graduation.  Most of our time was happily wasted on inside jokes and trips to Wal-Mart.  When this song came on the radio, we sang our fake lyrics and laughed at how ridiculous everything was.

It was nice.

2 comments:

Pa Ul said...

interesting F video it is

do check out my F at GAC a-z

Elizabeth Twist said...

Nice. Somehow I don't know about this band, but I want to hear more.

A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist