Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for...

"O Sole Mio" as covered by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes


From the album Ruin Johnny's Bar Mitzvah, which is actually a live recording of these guys performing at some kid named Johnny's Bar Mitzvah.  Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are a cover band made up of members from NOFX, Swingin' Utters, Foo Fighters, and Lagwagon.  They do this stuff for funsies, and often perform in bizarre matching outfits.  Like this:
Or this:
Overall great times.  One thing these guys have done for me, other than be entertaining, is bridge some of the gap that stands between me and my parents music interests.  Lots of the songs the Gimmes cover are older songs, many of which my parents recognize or listened to when they were young.  Hearing them in this format has both opened them up to my style of music and opened me up to theirs.  And once you're talking about music, you're also talking about your life and what that music means to you.  We all listened to country when I was younger, but now I know more about their lives before that time, and they know more about what I'm doing now.

So I'm sure they didn't mean to, but Me First and the Gimme Gimmes have helped me, in some small way, in my relationship with my parents.  Thanks.

1 comment:

M Pax said...

Cool band. Thanks for sharing. It's great that it helped you talk to your parents better.